Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Supporters groups!

So I was thinking about things that could make people's experiences at our matches more enjoyable then they already are. I know that I love being apart of something special - something bigger then me and that is what I think makes teams so great. When I'm part of a team I know that I instantly have 20 brand new pals or even family members if you will. I even feel that the soccer community itself is that way. We all have one thing in common, we love soccer, football, futbol, whatever you want to call it an we should embrace it. The WPS, the W-Leauge, the WPSL, University programs, etc. would hugely benefit from each other if we saw these groups as teammates and not competitors. The point of these leagues and organizations from the grass roots levels and up is to develop talent and help players reach their goals; whatever they may be.

On that note I was thinking about clubs all over the world and their supporters groups. They have songs, common hangouts, and most of all their core groups stick together with their team through thick and thin - good and bad. To me, this is the sign of true support. Everyone can jump on a bandwagon, it happens all the time but to have a loyalty to a program is beyond any measure. I would love to get a seriously awesome team fan section going at Sky Blue FC matches with banners, scarves, and face paint! It would be incredible to see people tailgating or hanging out together, then walking into the ground /stadium at the same time singing songs and chants with their bells, whistles, banners, flags, drums and whatever else people can think of. I think we have a great opportunity here to make something really special happen - something that only happens in New Jersey, ONLY at Sky Bue FC games.

There are all sorts of nicknames we could use, here are a few I've come up with quickly: Sky Blue Crew? The Raritan end? Pride of Piscataway? Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

I know this is only one little blog but I feel like this could be SO AWESOME if everyone bought in. Please feel free to question or comment. Create your own ideas, bring friends, go nuts!

Most sincerely yours,

KB

10 comments:

  1. KB..Your Amazing! Just like you not to be able to sit and Be idle. Just what we need..And Also what Our Great Team Needs..Ill be chatting with my Friend fans and have them get back to you.. Just a few things..Where are the tennis Balls? An What ever Happened To Us Having a Mascot? I like the idea of SkyBlue Crew.. kinda reminds me of the Old Cheering Rowdies in the stands last year..Why are they gone this year? All The Texing Questions..Gone!I saw At another Stadium..where the MVP got the mic at the end of the match and said a few words..Hey Dosent cost anything..Sure the players would love it also. We need a Theme song..For when a goal is score..Or One for a corner kick. Hey Works at Yankee Stadium.. We love being part of your team..But Really enjoy You all getting along..having fun and Playing great Soccer! Thanks Bards..Get Better fast! Jill Fedorchak and The Boys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill,

    This is a great start. Half the time we don't even realize that we're missing these things, we get a bit caught up in the match ;). I'll definitely take note and pass on as many suggestions as possible. I love at Yankees games when just before first first pitch is thrown the fans begin to chant each of the player's names until they get a wave, starting from the outfield in throughout the first inning. So cool!

    Thanks again for the comments. Keep the ideas flowing!

    KB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like "Sky Blue Crew"! I think we need a support group leader. Any volunteers?? Also, any thoughts on heckling the opponents? I know that St. Louis had a group that had a chanting section during their home games and also even organized travel to away games. (Obviously more on the funny side of things, but that can create a fun atmosphere).

    ReplyDelete
  4. How I would Love to Take it On.. BUT My boys are a handfull..LOL! Sounds great Yael..I wish i could travel And Cheer My Team on..See ya Ladies real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Yael,

    St. Louis did have a pretty cool atmo going, their chants were pretty funny. The beer garden seems like it might be a clutch heckling spot too (RIGHT NEXT TO THE GOAL!)I know Boston does pretty well for themselves in regards to supporters home and away, so fans - there's some competition out there!

    KB

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen- You should contact the (former) Athletica's fan group Laclede's Army. They had their own section at games with drums and cheeering, tailgated before hand and even painted themselves with Athletica colors. They have even been to games where our former Athletica team members now play, like Atlanta Beat games.

    Their twitter account is: http://twitter.com/LacledesArmy

    Their own website is: http://lacledesarmy

    ReplyDelete
  8. *** lacledesarmy.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fans before the game, how about a chant that goes like this called, "Give us a wave!"

    Example: Kacey, Kacey, give us a wave!

    It's simple, all you have to use is the first or last name or nickname you know the players go by and say it followed by give us a wave! Easy!

    Have fun,

    KB

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is an interesting topic because I do think having a fan base is a great way to maintain support for the team. I have been saddened by the way "fans" on the SBFC Facebook page seem to turn against the team and the players after a game that doesn't go as smoothly as everyone would like. I think sticking with a team through "thick and thin" as you mentioned is key.
    We have season tickets and I don't think we have ever sat with the same people at a game. I was hoping with us being in the same seats each game that we would meet other season ticket holders who would more likely be avid SBFC fans- but that hasn't happened. It would be nice to have a "fan section" for people who know a little more about who the players are,about the schedule, etc. We seem to be surrounded by people who are quoting a lot of incorrect facts, names, etc and even doubting why they are at a WPS game. Not the best atmosphere!
    At the opposite extreme- a group of what I guess were college-aged girls sat next to us at the last game against Washington. During the warm-ups, they were chanting players names and waving scarves. You, KB, actually gave one of them one of your jerseys when the game started. They then proceeded to heckle and criticize the SBFC players whenever a ball was missed or an opportunity lost. Lots of negative comments. So, while they were loud and did sing chants and wore face paint- there was a lot of negative stuff going on too. How can you create a positive,energetic, and supportive fan base is the question? I would rather not sit with, and more importantly, have my 11-year-old daughter sit with people who just sit and criticize the team- even if they do chant cheers inbetween the criticism.
    I agree that it's time to start a supporter group- but with people who want to see the long term success and viability of this team and the WPS- not just people who want to see a team who wins games.
    And- they did the tennis balls at one of the games- I forget when. But, we do miss the texting games!!
    My last question- as a player, when does fan recognition cross the line from being encouraging to annoying? The young women I wrote about above also would randomly yell out "ABBY WAMBACH" and "ABBY-WAVE TO US" trying to get her attention during the game whenever she crossed in front of our part of the stands. Before the game, they were calling for her, which I thought made sense, but if it's during a game- does that get annoying to players or not? The general cheers for the team- I get that- but screaming out an individual's name- does that break their concentration?

    ReplyDelete